Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Tool #2 Professional Learning Networks

Communication is the key to learn and succeed. My fellow teachers and I, use to share our ideas, flip charts, lessons, links or any resource to increase the education of our students.

We have been using the e-mail to communicate with each other. That makes me use common expressions like "Did I erase that useful mail?" or "Have you read the urgent mail I sent you 3 week ago?"

Now by posting our ideas in a blog, we not only share an idea with one or two teachers, but with whoever reads our blogs.

A Professional Learning Network would build a real community of learners and our own virtual bank of knowledge.

Following one of the advices for comments, I try to make meaningful comments that add something for the author and followers of that blog. Also we can make comments to improve an idea, figure out a different approach, or implementation. This is a win - win situation!

P.S. I appreciate a lot your time expended on reading this post. Furthermore, I'm eager to read your comments on it.

Pardon if I comment something in a wrong way. I hope did't make fatal errors like this guy :)

8 comments:

  1. I think that having instant response and/or feedback is very important.
    I can also add that these tools are going to be extremely important for us as teachers but also having the students making comments on our blogs and their peers will be very interesting .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Imagine using this tool to share your student's writing samples and giving each other support and ideas on how to improve and make the story more interesting. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! you said the key word Francisco about giving each other support!
    Yes! The key word, “Support!"

    Each of us has been gifted with a unique ability and all we need to do is open to it, explore it, develop it and ultimately offer it wholeheartedly to all those who can benefit from it. We must strive to move beyond a survival mentality which separates us from others and creates the illusion of lack, making us miserly in our giving and miserable in our being.

    An Inuit proverb states that "Friends make gifts and gifts make friends", showing us that it is through our reciprocal relationships of giving and receiving that we become connected, inspired, enriched, happy and joyful.There are always opportunities for lending support to others.

    So to you, my fellow teachers, I say, if you give support to others, you not only open a pathway of knowledge to others, but, you provide that pathway to continue down the road to our students, so that they too can continue to expand the knowledge, when we are not around! The world will be a better place for future generations!

    Expand the knowledge! Don't hold back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alfredo,
    As usual, you inspire me with your words of wisdom. However, what I really need is your HELP! I want to create my technology tools the best that they can be. You know, the perfectionis in me. Hope to see you soon!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are doing and EXCELLENT job with these tools. Soon I'll be the one asking for your help. But if in any way I can help you, I'll be more than pleased to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alfredo I loved the video because sometimes we feel like the lady on the phone when we are giving instructions to our students and they do completely the opposite of it. I am doing the best I can to to my blog but it is giving me some gray hair already :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Alfredo,

    Your awesome. Your knowledge and understanding of technology is great! I feel comfortable asking you questions. So in regards to forming Professional Learning Networks-communities I am all for it! This is one area that I know I need support so I hope I don't overwhelm you with questions. I love your pictures and videos. My site is very simple, but I'm waiting for the lessons on how to include other items on my site. I'll keep you posted.
    PS: If the Pepsi video is the same one that was shown in the faculty meeting, I would love to have a copy. It was removed from your site.

    ReplyDelete
  8. For the soccer video just search in youtube for "oh africa pepsi 2010"

    ReplyDelete